- Baby Non-Food Products
- Baking/Cooking Staples
- Household Products
- Kitchen Products
- Paper Products
- Personal Care
- Pet Products
- RESEARCH & AWARDS
First aid items were the most heavily promoted private label category for the week ended Jan. 29, Solon, Ohio-based ECRM tells PLBuyer.
Approximately 62.5 percent of the items promoted in Fresh & Easy’s weekly ad insert were private label products, ECRM found. Wegman’s was second with 62 percent of its circular promoting private label products. Wegman’s private label activity was 8.1 percent greater than was its average promotion of private label in ad circulars for all of 2010, ECRM says.
On the product side, paper products were the second most promoted category followed by home health care items.
Tom Pirovano, vice president, industry insights, at ECRM notes the following about the week’s free-standing inserts:
- The front page of Meijer’s Jan. 23 circular features several Meijer brand products with the slogan: Not Just Meijer Brand. A better Brand.
- Brookshire’s Jan. 26 circular promotes a choice of free private label products with the purchase of Pilgrim’s Pride Buffalo Wings. “Promotions (like this) that get shoppers to try store brands can be very effective. Retailer sometimes forget the value of trial purchases. The most of effective way to get shoppers to overcome perceptions about store brands is to have them try it,” Pirovano says.
- Aldi’s share of private label declined slightly due to ads for fresh produce. “Often, fresh produce is neither branded nor private label. It’s also worth noting that Aldi included several price comparisons with national snack brands in its Jan. 23 circular,” he says.
- Although these reports are not weighted by retailer size, Target’s Jan. 23 circular promotes it Up & Up brand across many of the top-promoted private label categories.
- The home health category includes the sub-categories listed below. While most of these are non-seasonal, vaporizers and humidifiers tend to be promoted in the winter.
- Adult Incontinence
- Durable Medical Equipment
- Medical Compliance
- Patient Aids
- Personal Wipes
- Smoking Cessation
· Facial tissue is also promoted more in winter months. Because suppliers compete across paper categories, when facial tissues is promoted, other paper categories make their way into the ad.
PLBuyer will bring you weekly reports courtesy of ECRM regarding private label ad promotional activity. The information should help you better benchmark how your private label ad efforts stack up against the food retailing business as a whole as well as against individual competitors.